Thursday, November 3, 2011

Natural Skin Lotion : Calendula & Rose Hips Coconut Oil

When I shop at the local health food store, I am often very disappointed in what they have to offer in their beauty department. Many of the products contain toxic products, like sodium lauryl sulfate, alcohol, fragrance (parfum) and others.

If I am going to put something on my skin, I want the product to also be food grade - I don't want to put anything on my skin that I wouldn't eat! I know, this may sound weird for some of you, however, our body absorbs whatever we put on our skin and has to process whatever chemicals it contains.

Today I decided to make my own natural lotion (I was getting a little bored with plain old coconut oil). Two weeks ago, I began infusing rose hips and calendula in olive oil. Rose hips works wonders for the skin and contains many vital nutrients (many cultures use it as a super food). This wonder herb works on scars, dry eczema, skin burns (including sunburn), dry skin, damaged skin, wrinkles, and aging skin. I consider rose hips infused oil to be a skin super hero!

Calendula also works wonders on the skin, and has, perhaps, the longest use of any herb in skin care. Calendula is best for chapped and dry skin (especially in the coming winter months), stubborn wounds that won't heal, eczema/psoriasis, and skin regeneration.

Directions to make this salve:

Ingredients:
Rose Hips (dried or fresh)
Calendula (dried of fresh)
Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
Beeswax
*Raw Honey (optional)

Take the rose hips and calendula and place them in enough olive oil to cover them. Let this sit in a dry, dark place for at least two weeks.

At the end of two weeks, strain out the rose hips and calendula.

Place into a stainless steel bowl and put on top of a pan that has hot water (like a double boiler system). Add a bit of coconut oil (and honey if you would like). Make sure the water isn't boiling too high - you don't want to destroy heat sensitive nutrients in your blend. Cut up some beeswax and put into the stainless steel pot. The amount varies for this and you will have to experiment with the amount you like. If you have a small bar of beeswax (like the one shown in the picture below), you can just slice off a few small pieces to start. For salves (or harder creams) you will want to use more beeswax. For a loose lotion you will want less beeswax. If you find your lotion to be too loose when you are finished, just reheat and put a little more beeswax in. If it is too hard, reheat and add more coconut oil.

Heat until the beeswax melts and immediately poor into a glass container. You can find these containers at some health food stores, online, or recycled containers that you keep. I put mine in an old glass garlic container.

I'm so excited to start using this cream! It is totally natural and, if I really wanted to, I could eat it!











______________________________________________

Svea Lynn is a traditional Naturopath, classical homeopath and holistic doula. Her private doula practice can be found here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment